As an Amazon Associate kitchen A2Z earns from qualifying purchases
looking for What is the Effect of Oven Cleaner on Kitchen Countertops? Then you’re in the right place. You are going to read a complete guideline on What is the Effect of Oven Cleaner on Kitchen Countertops? in this article.
If you love cooking at home, then you surely need a good countertop cleaning agent right underneath the cabinet. Some food items like cheese and Mac, salad, do not get your countertop nasty. But if you’re wanted to make fried chicken wings for a family night then you will need a good countertop cleaner.
But are oven cleaner good suggestions for shiny clean countertops? Can you use an oven cleaner agent on granite countertops? Would they harm upper lamination?
And the many lists of questions goes on. Excellent cleaning capabilities of oven cleaner have accumulated it so much of popularity. But are they easy and safe to use? You’ll surely get to know by the read below.
- 1 What is an Oven Cleaner?
- 2 Why are they so good at Cleaning?
- 3 Is a oven cleaner perfect for kitchen countertops?
- 4 What is the Effect of Oven Cleaner on Kitchen Countertops?
- 5 How to Get an Oven Cleaner Stain off a Countertop
- 6 The alternative method to Clean Kitchen Countertops
- 7 Conclusion
- 8 Our Top Posts
What is an Oven Cleaner?
Oven cleaners go by their heading, are meant to clean ovens. This strong chemical solution is able of cleaning stubborn stains and drippings off. You will not have to scrub the walls of your oven as long as you have an oven cleaner by your side.
If you have not used a frying pan splatter screen then don’t worry as all the oil splatters on the oven walls will come off easily with a gentle wash. While walls are soft to clean, it is the bottom inside of the oven that takes elbow grease work.
That baked dirt on the floor of the oven is not anything that water and dishwasher soap will do. But it is really easy for an oven cleaner to clean your filthy oven. Be it food particles, grease, juices, debris, or drippings, the strong chemicals present in the oven cleaner can get the dirt off easily within a few gentle rubs.
You can make a delicious baked dish for lunch and many more items and will not have to think about spending the rest of the day cleaning the oven.
Why are they so good at Cleaning?
All the credit goes to the strong reagent. When you pour the solution over grease and oil, a reaction takes place. This reaction helps wash out the grease or oil from the surface so you can easily wipe them away.
Oven cleaner is alkaline in type that helps to loosen the dirt and grease trapped in the surface. This chemical reaction is what makes cleaning a gentle breeze. Along with removing hard particles, oven cleaners leave the surface brightly.
Is a oven cleaner perfect for kitchen countertops?
The extraordinary cleaning ability of the oven cleaner makes its way to the top of a cleaner’s list. But in reality, oven cleaners are not a good choice for your kitchen countertops. And the same chemicals that are great for cleaning ovens are harmful to your shiny countertop.
Initially, you may see all the grease, oil, coffee stains, etc wash out from your countertop. But soon you’ll realize that it was a bad idea to clean the kitchen countertop with oven cleaner. Even using it for counted number of times takes the bright away from the surface.
Be it wooden, tile, stainless steel, or granite countertops, using oven cleaner will spoil them. Strong chemicals penetrate the bright layer of wood and make it soft, Whereas, in the case of tile, the chemicals might swallow away the coating as well as destruct the grout.
And no use an oven cleaner on a stainless steel kitchen countertop because instead of cleaning the surface, it will leave it with bad or black marks and stains. So finally, the oven cleaner is not the right cleaner for your beautiful kitchen countertop.
What is the Effect of Oven Cleaner on Kitchen Countertops?
- Toxic chemicals present in an oven cleaner are not good for both countertops as well as you. When you clean the countertop with these chemicals they tend to remain there for some time. And these bad chemicals tend to mix with the food resides on countertops. This aids to potential health risks.
- If you’ve used an oven cleaner earlier, you might have smelled the foul gas coming off the solution. This gas is nothing but hydrogen that is highly flammable, majorly when it reacts with aluminum. Also, it discolors the metal permanently.
- Certain heavy chemicals like Iye wear to create the protective layer of the countertop. It badly damages granite, vinyl, and quartz counter leaving them dull and less span of life.
- If swallowed or inhaled, oven cleaners might trigger hypersensitivity reactions.
- Oven cleaner is a caustic reagent which is why you’re advised to wear thick plastic gloves while using them to prevent skin allergies, burn, etc.
- Strong flames of oven cleaner might make one feel nauseated, light-headed, or in the worst case, give a migraine attack.
- These strong flames can also irritate eyes so it is better to wear protective eyewear before you start spraying the solution.
- Like kitchen countertops made of stone, Formica kitchen countertops are at low risk of suffering damage if you clean them using an oven cleaner supply you rinse and wipe the kitchen countertop quickly. However, there is always a risk of color destruction. If you have been doing this without considering what is the impact of oven cleaner on kitchen countertops, your kitchen countertops may be spoiled already. There is a chance of restoring the finish on a kitchen countertop by smooth polishing it.
How to Get an Oven Cleaner Stain off a Countertop
With question what is the effect of oven cleaner on kitchen countertops, it also highly to know. Protect the nearby floors and countertops when you clean your oven with oven cleaner.
Oven cleaner is a highly corrosive product, and it can destruct floors, countertops, and surfaces when it comes to contact with it. Please follow these steps to avoid oven cleaner stains off a countertop.
Step 1: Wash the oven cleaner off the countertop with wet towels quickly after it spills. Don’t delay and repeat this process 2 or 3 times.
Step 2: Saturated that area with water and let it wait for 10 to 12 minutes. Then brush the area clean with a brush or sponge.
Step 3: After that, clean the area with hot soapy water to remove any remaining oven cleaner stains left. Repeat this 2 or 3 times and rinse. After repeating this many times, if the oven cleaner stains do not clean with water, proceed to the next step.
Step 4: Clean the area with a multipurpose cleaner as per label, Before using such type of product, read your countertop’s user manual first to check if it’s safe to use.
There are several things that you will need:
• Paper Towels
• Sponge / Rag
• Dish Soap
• Multipurpose household cleaner
The alternative method to Clean Kitchen Countertops
Rather than spraying harsh chemicals over your bright countertop, go for a natural cleaner. They are just as effective as an expensive oven cleaner but far safer and budget-friendly.
You can make a natural countertop cleaner at home using simple kitchen materials. Take a look below and you can easily make a natural cleaner for the countertop within a minute.
Natural Cleaner 1 (General Cleaning)
This natural cleaner is best for overall cleaning. You can use it on stone, wood, or vinyl surface.
- A spray bottle.
- Water (2 cups).
- White vinegar (1-1/2 cup).
- Dishwashing soap (optional).
- Mix water and vinegar in the spray bottle together. You can decrease or increase the quantity according to the size of your countertop.
- You can add a few drops of dishwashing liquid if you wish. The liquid will aid to clean the surface as well as bring the shine back.
- Now you have to mix the mixture gently, keep in mind not to shake it but stir.
- Spray a heavy amount of solution all over the messy countertop and wipe it clean with a microfiber cloth.
- Wipe the counter sides as well as possible.
Natural Cleaner 2 (For Oil Stains)
This method is highly effective to remove oil stains from granite countertops naturally. You can use it on other stone counters such as marble.
- Baking soda
- In a bowl, add baking soda and enough water to make a thick paste early.
- Now apply the paste on the oil stains with the help of a teaspoon. You can also use it on coffee or ketchup stains.
- Leave the mixture overnight and rinse it off the following early morning.
- You can do it again if the stains are not faded away properly.
Now that you know what all chemicals are inside an oven cleaner, you might want to avoid them. However, not all oven cleaners in the market are full of chemicals. There are a few natural countertop cleaners out there that effectively clean the surface. Or else, there’s always an option to make natural cleaners at home. Not only are these chemical-free cleaners effective but also affordable. Elongate the life of your countertop and keep it look shiny new for years with a safe yet effective cleaner.